Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index
::: powered by Princess-Diana.com :::
Diana, Princess of Wales
A place to have discussions, share information and post pictures about Princess Diana

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Diana's significance in the British monarchy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index -> Princess Diana Den Princess Diana Den
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kfl
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Diana's significance in the British monarchy Reply with quote

Hi guys! Just had some questions about Diana...
Questions:
1. Do you see Diana as an appropriate example for the British monarchy? Why?
2. What characteristics of Diana do you consider worthy of appraisal? destructive especially to the monarchy's image?
3. In your opinion, was Diana somehow diminishing the power of the monarchy by changing how her role is usually carried out? Did sentiments for her death fuel any feeling of Republicanism?
4. Are there lessons that the Royal Family can learn from her? What are examples of Diana that they could follow?
5. What issues regarding the monarchy's actions were raised during her time?
6. Are there significant changes at the present within the Palace rules or the behavior of the Royal Family that can be attributed to Diana? Could you name them?
7. Do you think Diana carried out her role as Princess of Wales well, both for the monarchy and for the people?
8. What do you think of Diana? Did she serve to improve the monarchy's status or worsen it?
9. Is Diana relevant? How?

Last edited by kfl on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
kfl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
colormerose
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Once upon a time.... Reply with quote

Karen, I will atempt to answer your questions with my views, for whatever they count for.

1. Diana was a good example in many ways for the existing monarchy. She showed how a bit of interest in the subjects paid great dividends for the Monarchy for the small investment of a simple smile, a handshake, a touch or pointed question about the people who were the kingdom. She taught it was okay to be hands on mother and that again drew the admiration of the masses. She showed that the old tradition of keeping closed doors and closed faces turned to the people did endear the Monarchy to them. She was a way-shower for the new generation of the Monarchy.

2. Diana had many notable characteristics. She had the inner strength to survive in formidable and often hostile environments. She had a shrewd skill with people and intuitively knew the best angles for press coverage and public admiration. She was compassionate and used empathy to connect with the subjects of the kingdom. The characteristics that were of detriment to the Monarchy was her ability to seek vengeance
(often in subtle and discreet ways), her inner knowledge of their systems and creeds and the smarts to use those against them when vengeance was sought, and the will to accomplish whatever she set her mind to. I also think her inability to take things lying down as she was supposed to do led to much of the feats that harmed the Monarchy.

3. No, I do not feel she was diminishing the power of the Monarchy. She was trying to change the way things had always been done where there was a need for those things to change. She was working as a bridge between an antiquated Monarchial world view and the rapidly changing world. She was trying to tie the loose binds that existed between the ideal of the Monarchists and the common man. (Do not understand the last of your question so will not attempt to answer that).

4. Many lessons! A) Familial life should not be frozen out due to duty, Prime examples were how she worked to incorporate her duties with her motherhood by taking William to Australia as a baby, showing affection openly to the boys while seen in public, working her official duty roster around the school vacation times and important times for her sons.
B) If you reach out to the people, they will reach back in gratitude. Numerous examples both in print and film exist to show the people’s response to her manner with them.
C) That marriage should not include three or more, and that silent and long held acceptance of such things was not only unnecessary, but could be challenged. See tabloids for proof of this.

5. A) Issue of fidelity B) Issue of Princes versus Paupers C) Issue of Marriage decreed by protocol versus love D) Issue of Royal Divorce E) Issuance and surrender of Royal titles F) Issue of always doing things the way that they had always been done versus adapting to a changed world G) Issue of people power versus decreed power

6. See above.

7. Diana served her official role as Princess to an admirable degree, given what the true nature of the circumstances surrounding her private life was like. She did not shirk her royal duty. She added dimensions to it and did it with her own flair. In the early years of her marriage she supported the man who would be king. As that marriage crumbled she withdrew her support and gave it to the man who would be pauper. Here was the shift of doing FOR the Monarchy to doing FOR the people.

8. Diana was a unique person and showed that being individualistic, even in job as a Royal, was not a bad thing. During Diana years she drew the people toward the monarchy until such time as she decided to draw them from the Monarchy. She was both the uplifter to the public’s opinion of the Monarchy and also the downfall to public opinion of the Monarchy. She was both their best friend and their worse enemy, though I dare to say they might view this as otherwise.

9. What do you mean by “is Diana releveant”? Relevant to what? Relevant to the history of the Monarchy? Her time and effect with them will be noted in history. Her effect with the people will make sure of that. She was the one who tried to change the Monarchy to fit a different world than the history books recorded. Relevant to the history of the people? Well, once upon a time there lived a beautiful Princess who….. Yes, she was relevant to the people and their view of how the forgotten could be remembered by one who wore the regal robes. Her tales of compassion, bravery in the face of adversity, her ability to see what was needed and get the job done, despite being warned against it, will travel far and wide as most “fairytales” do. Relevant to the future history of the Monarchy? Once upon a time there was a beautiful Princess who bore for the Kingdom an heir and a spare…. Yep, she was the mother and educator of a future King. This alone will reserve a space in the history pages for her, but I imagine there will be many footnotes there as well!

www.dianaspeaks.com
www.angelfire.com/mb2/connecting_to_diana
www.sessionswithspirit.info
colormerose is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Jooles
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I think colormerose summed up my sentiments exactly. To answer the 2nd part of Q3, I think sentiments following her death definately added fuel to republicanism. There was a feeling of 'the tide turning' in the days following her death. The media could smell republicanism in the air where the crowds were gathering and I would not like to think about what would have happened had the royals not returned to London when they did. I do not think the Royals have recovered from those feelings to this day. I for one, used to be a staunch royalist before and during the Diana years but would now consider myself a republican. In my humble opinion (for what it's worth) the only thing that can bring the royals back into favour would be William becoming King... and (dare I say it) maybe Kate becoming queen?
Jooles is offline View user's profile Send private message

secrets
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree ,and also Diana did more for the royal family than anyone else ,her touch,her smile,her sincerity was something the windsors should have learned from and embraced her with all their hearts,but no they were all jealous and have slipped back into their selfish and greedy ways.

have you ever seen maj touch a child or shake hands with an AIDS patient,or come to that has she ever shaken a hand without the gloved hand. hard faced woman. Mad

and dare i now suggest that the boys are now becoming far to windsor-ised.
Sad
secrets is offline View user's profile Send private message

Jooles
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Diana's significance in the British Monarchy Reply with quote

Yes, they are so stupid, ten years on, they still haven't learnt have they.

As for William & Harry, yes they are becomming Windsorised but then how could they be anything else, with their Mother gone they are being brainwashed. I still think the monarchy has a chance with those two boys thanks to Diana.

Oh well if I dissapear from this site you will know I've been bumped off!!! Wink Laughing
Jooles is offline View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index -> Princess Diana Den All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: