Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index
::: powered by Princess-Diana.com :::
Diana, Princess of Wales
A place to have discussions, share information and post pictures about Princess Diana

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Diana Portraits Removed Before Royal Visit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index -> Princess Diana News Princess Diana News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Diana Portraits Removed Before Royal Visit Reply with quote

Diana Portraits Removed Before Royal Visit
Written by Joanne Leyland
Friday, 06 October 2006
It was supposed to be a standard royal visit by the Queen's cousin, one which would likely elicit much coverage.

Instead a tour of Chester Zoo in the North West of England is on the front page today with the revelation that pictures of Diana, Princess of Wales were removed from the site before the Duke of Kent's arrival.

In what is becoming seemingly standard behaviour — this news follows on from previous royal visits at which portraits of Diana (who held the title Countess of Chester) have been removed from the walls — the Liverpool Daily Post reports that a photograph of the Princess on a visit to the Zoo, as well as a commemorative plaque marking the opening of the chimpanzee house, disappeared from view before the Duke's arrival.

Officials at Chester Zoo stress that the decision to remove the images of Diana were not removed due to any pressure exerted by Buckingham Palace or anyone linked to the Royal Family.

Diana was very close to the Duchess of Kent, seen here with her husband at the Princess's funeral in September 1997.

A Palace spokeswoman tells the Daily Post: "This wouldn't be something that we would have requested. It would have been the zoo's decision."

"The Duke of Kent wouldn't expect anything to be removed, especially something relating to another member of the Royal Family. Princess Diana made all sorts of visits to lots of venues, and we certainly wouldn't expect her image to be removed from any of them."

However, the Daily Post claims to have unearthed evidence that the decision was taken "on advice from the office of the Queen's representative in the region, Lord Lieutenant of Cheshire William Bromley Davenport."

Diana's former butler, Paul Burrell — who lives in Farndon in Cheshire — was quick to condemn the move, telling the Daily Post: "What has happened here is so very wrong. There are people who would happily eradicate the Princess's memory if they were given the chance."

"Why would anyone think removing a photo would make a difference? You can't simply erase the past and the Princess did so much good work, for so many people, including those in Chester. She opened the Countess of Chester hospital, and indeed was the Countess of Chester. That surely should count for something."

"I'm very upset by this. People simply don't recognise the unique woman she was, and that has to be honoured. Instead of removing things, we should be thinking about a permanent memorial along the lines of a statue, to celebrate the good things she did."
Amy is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jamient1410
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Paul Bulter. They were 'advised' by someone who was working for The Queen so in a way, they were told to remove the picture of Diana. It wasn't first time I have first, I heard it few times in the past. That is very insulting to Diana's memory. I think that is disgusing.
Jamient1410 is offline View user's profile Send private message

AngelDiana
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Jamient1410! Very Happy
"I found myself wanting to hug and kiss (my sons) all the time. But they have rather passed that stage. I kept reminding myself that they were nearly young men who didn't want to be kissed and hugged by their mother too much."
www.dianaspeaks.com
AngelDiana is offline View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diana, Princess of Wales Forum Index -> Princess Diana News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: